Birthstones refer to the stones that are representing each month of the year and the people that were born during those months. These types of gems differ in color that indicates the personality and moments in our life. Understanding birthstone colors is an excellent way to gain better insight about yourself and the people close to you.
Table of Contents
- 1 A Complete Guide on Birthstone Colors
- 1.1 Garnet – January
- 1.2 Amethyst – February
- 1.3 Aquamarine – March
- 1.4 Diamond – April
- 1.5 Emerald – May
- 1.6 Peal and Alexandrite – June
- 1.7 Ruby – July
- 1.8 Peridot – August
- 1.9 Sapphire – September
- 1.10 Tourmaline and Opal – October
- 1.11 Topaz and Citrine – November
- 1.12 Turquoise, Blue Zircon, and Tanzanite – December
A Complete Guide on Birthstone Colors
The concept of birthstones can be traced back during the early civilization. They believed that the gemstones have the power to attract prosperity, luck, wisdom, and health. Originally, each month is only associated to a single gemstone. Today, some months can have more than one birthstone.
Garnet – January
The start of the year is represented by the elegant and mesmerizing garnet. Since this is placed close to the lunar cycle, this became the symbolism of movement and travel. People that are born during this month are well-travelled and will move numerous times during their lifetimes. They are also bound to experience a lot of wondrous and joyous things.
- Garnet is available in a range of shades. Perhaps the most popular type of garnet would be the deep red.
- Apart from travel, Garnet can also be related to friendship.
- The name Garnet is derived from a Latin word ‘granatum’ which literally translates to seed. This is due to the striking resemblance of the gemstone to pomegranate seeds.
Amethyst – February
February is known to be a bitter and cold month. You will need to have a higher sense of fortitude if you want to survive it. Amethyst is a serious and sober stone that has a purple shade that perfectly fits the personality of people born in this month. It is a symbolism of the strong relationship and courage. Those who were born in February are known for their unwavering loyalty.
- Due to its purple shade, garnet is known to be a symbol of the royal family.
- It is available in different shades and is also prominent in various cultures that carries a range of meanings.
Aquamarine – March
The month of March puts significance on the concept of the start of the new life and rebirth. This month can also be unpredictable. A calm and warm day can immediately be replaced with the cold winds. Thus, the people who are born on March were blessed with the rejuvenating and healing power of aquamarine. This gemstone has been associated with the soothing ability of the ocean. During the early times, aquamarine is being used as a healing tool to cure diseases related with stomach, liver, and heart. They will simply soak the gemstone with water in order to extract the benefits of the stone.
- The name of the gemstone has been derived from the term ‘aqua’. It was believed to keep the sailors protected when they are sailing on open seas.
- This is composed of mineral species known as beryl, making it pure and durable. With a hardness level of 7.5 on the Mohs scale, care and maintenance of the gemstone is very simple.
Diamond – April
If your birth month is April, you will be welcomed with the rebirth of the earth and a generous supply of sunshine. You are often the center of attention and will be showered with care, affection, and love. You will become a wonderful and pleasant adult. Diamond is perfectly suited for your personality. As the symbolism of eternal love, diamond indicates the true personality and value of people born in this month. It is a precious stone that carries significant value. it is also associated with courage, royalty, and beauty.
- In Hindu, diamonds are associated with kings and deities.
- Diamond is being used as the precious stone for engagement ring. It is the most important and hardest stone in this age.
- With its cut, carat, clarity, and color, diamond is known for its unmatched beauty.
Emerald – May
The rebirth of nature which starts on April will continue during the month of May. This is when the growth of foliage and flowering will reach its peak. The richness of greens is well represented by the color of Emerald. This is a gemstone that is related with Venus during the early Roman civilization. Wisdom, beauty and love which symbolizes Venus are also connected with Emerald and the people who were born on May.
- Emerald is the representation of growth, intelligence, and youth.
- The name Emerald came from the Greek word ‘smargados’ that literally translates to green stone.
- The richness of its green color made it a staple part of the king’s ring and crown.
- It is believed to provide the wearer with happiness.
Peal and Alexandrite – June
The term ‘precious as pearl’ is used to indicate the unique personality of the person. This means that their personality is so rare like the pearl. People that are born in June has always been associated with pearl that is known for its purity. The innocence and love related with the stone have been linked with different gods and goddesses such as Aphrodite. Alexandrite on the other hand are also known for being extremely rare. They are also one of the most desirable stones due to their ability to change their color depending on the lighting.
- People born in this month are known for being unique.
- Alexandrite will have that green shade during the daylight and can transform into purple red when exposed to an artificial lighting system.
- Pearl as the only stone that can be created by a live animal is also rare.
Ruby – July
When we think about the arid season, we will often associate it with the month of July. Summer season will reach its peak temperature during this month. Apart from the warmth, this is also related with family and happiness. These qualities are best represented by the nobility and strength of Ruby. In Hinduism, this was referred to as the ‘King of the Gems’. This protects the wearer against negative and evil energy. This also highlights the fiery and passionate temperament of people born in this month.
- Ruby is undoubtedly the most popular among the red-colored stones.
- This represents wisdom and health.
- The hardness of Ruby is second only to diamond. Extremely durable for everyday use.
Peridot – August
August is believed to be the most reliable and strongest month. The trees are sturdy, and the weather is favorable. It is also the time when the crop is at its peak. The birthstone that can best represent the strength of this month would be Peridot. The light green pigment of this stone refers to the longer night of August. For centuries. this gemstone has been associated with the volcanoes. This can indicate that the person can also have a personality similar to the volcano. They can easily overwhelm those people around them with affection.
- Known for its healing power and its ability to ward evil spirits.
- The unique green shade of the peridot makes it a preferred stone to use on accessories, beads, and necklace.
Sapphire – September
Sapphire has a deep blue color that represents the month of September. In addition, this stone is also associated with protection against poison and evil. For generation, people believed that it can repel any bad influences. People who are born this month are known for their wisdom and purity. They can also be practical, hardworking, and thoughtful. The coming of September signals the start of the preparation for the winter months.
- It is also available in a large selection of colors, but the deep blue shade is the most renowned type of sapphire.
- Just like ruby it is also a corundum mineral that is known for its hardness.
- During the early times, it was believed to have the power to protect romantic partners.
Tourmaline and Opal – October
Opal comes in various colors indicates the uncertainty during the month of October. There are times when the days will be pleasant and warm and there are also instances when it will be cold. Harvest is also associated with this month. Opal is believed to protect people from difficult times. The personality of people born in this month are somehow similar with people born on September, but their spiritual side is more pronounced. Tourmaline has become a favorite of a lot of people due to its rainbow colors.
- Tourmaline and opal are both untraditional type of gemstones.
- Tourmaline will usually be represented in pink shade, but it is known for its unique tricolor.
Topaz and Citrine – November
While November is the start of the chilly weather, it does not instantly mean that it will be loveless and cold. The Topaz is known to carry the most profound symbol of affection and love. Perhaps this is because most people will spend most of their time with their loved ones. The yellow shade of Topaz and Citrine represents the intellect and enthusiasm of people born in this month. They will be ready to bounce back regardless of what unfortunate things they experienced in life.
- Topaz is one of the most prized gemstones even during the early age.
- Citrine is believed to possess the power of healing.
- They represented energy and warmth due to their warm colors.
Turquoise, Blue Zircon, and Tanzanite – December
December marks the year’s end and will be a time of great sorrows and joy. This is also the Holiday season that stands for happiness and love. Unfortunately, not a lot of people will make it to the end which gives it a hint of sorrow. The color of Tanzanite, Blue Zircon, and Turquoise represent the qualities of this month and the people born in December. This is the time for relaxation and happiness. If you are born in this month, you will be associated with great success.
- These birthstones are known for their different blue shades.
- Each of them has a unique structure and characteristic.
- These stones have become a fashion statement due to their interesting colors.
There is a chance that you saw some of your personalities on the gemstones associated with your birth month. Knowing about the birthstone colors and their meaning will guide us towards the direction that we must take in life.
Thank you for taking the time to read this article !